Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fashion Week in New York City 2008

As your average woman who likes to shop, wear nice clothes, and surf the Internet, it was hard not to miss all the hoopla about New York Fashion Week Fall held last week in NYC. Was this some new novelty? Apparently not. Either I've been living in a cocoon or organizers were smart and really invested in digital and Internet marketing. My guess is the latter and not the former since I do live in Miami and as my previous posts are testaments to my exposure to fashion. A+ for marketing.

So what was the fuss all about? The celebrities. Of course. There was more Internet and news highlights about the celebrities who attended --Anne Hathaway, Kate Hudson, Liv Tyler, Victoria Beckham, and Sean Combs (the former P-Puff-Diddy-Daddy guy). Honestly I do not follow celebrity news, gossip, tabloids, and politely refuse to. My time is far better spent reading a NY Times Bestseller book for my book club, blogging, or spending time with friends and family. A celebrity's life does not influence my purchasing decisions or really any aspect of my life. Does this make me unAmerican? I hope not. Mind you, as a hard-working, middle-class American, I admire their work ethic. Filming shows and movies is no walk in the park. From experience, filming a 30 second commercial is exhausting.

Getting back to Fashion Week. Curious to learn the latest fashions, and if the runway items were clothes regular women (who are less than 5'9" tall, with a waist of more than 25" in circumference) could actually wear in public and not be mistaken for a homeless person wrapped in donated garbs, I searched for highlights. This video by InStyle.com presented designers Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Marc Jacobs and Sean Combs. His line is called Sean Jean.

My favorite: Quintessential Lauren with warm emeralds, ruby and purple colors and classic styles. The orange velvet took my breath away.

Least favorite: Sean Jean for men--jackets followed feminine lines around the collar and short waist. You'll see it in the video.

The biggest trend and another favorite--THE TRENCH COAT. Except we don't wear trench coats in Miami!! But I could use a light one that's resistant to rain. Any suggestions anyone?

In two minutes I'm up to date and ready to keep my eye out for sales this fall, if I ever make it to a mall.

If you went to Fashion Week this year or any year, go ahead and POST A COMMENT and give us an insider's view of what really happens at these out-of-reach shows for mere mortals.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin