Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Swimsuit Week

Last Saturday, July 19, yours truly was the prize winner of Miami.com's tickets to the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim. Wow-- I couldn't believe I won a local city contest! It was everything I expected--glamorous, sexy, tropical and fun! The prize included a personal driver to pick me up at home in a Mercedes-Benz, drop off at the venue for the swimsuit fashion show, tickets to the ANK and other designer runway shows, access to the Oasis area and a patient driver waiting outside for interminable hours until I was ready go to home. In this case, five hours. (The picture above is by Nissa Benjamin)



The swimsuit fashion show is presented annually at The Raleigh Hotel in Miami Beach. The Raleigh is famous for its pool as shown above. However, as you can see in the side-by-side pictures, the view standing at the pool is nothing compared to the aerial view. Temporary tent structures were set up around the property to accomodate the dressing rooms, models, catwalks
and the large audience.





Coinciding with the industry's largest swimwear trade show, the invitation-only event provided a runway platform for designers' swimwear and resort collections with exposure to national and international media, style setters, and fashionistas. This was my first real fashion show --a sea of photographers with high-tech, zoom lenses, both emaciated and toned models (we saw them before and after makeup), and many staffers with lanyards displaying a portrait size badge.


We arrived early at 6:30pm. The two open bars had just opened for service and my drink of choice was a Velvet something with Chambord. Love Chambord! That's me and Cecilia above with the Chambord models. Always have, and always will love Chambord.

After a few sips, my friend Cecilia (who I met at the Tiffany event) and I , explored the Oasis area. All this mind you is outside, behind the pool area. Little did we know the lounge area, bar and Oasis area were all on beach sand. Wearing 3 1/2" inch skinny, strapless heels tested my ankle strength and ability to walk gracefully under unpredictable conditions. At least I didn't fall like Miss America in the Miss Universe contest.



Retreated in the Oasis area were a manicure station (as pictured on left) and makeup station by MAC makeup. The services were available for any guest that evening. Arriving early meant no waiting line to have experts touch up our makeup and beautify us. Melvin, who works at the Sephora store on Collins Avenue between 7th and 8th Street (South Beach) glamorized my face with enhanced eyemakeup. Indeed I will be paying Melvin a visit soon for more tips and the latest in makeup. It was now time to get in line for the first runway show of the evening.

The buzz heightened. The line was forming for the the ANK line by Mirla Sabino. Once inside, we sat in the white folding chairs, a purple light emanated from the ceiling and stage front. Then suddenly, glaring spotlights and mood music turned on simultaneously and a beautiful model was strutting down the catwalk in her bikini. Then another and another. Although seated at the last row, we were not more than a few feet away from the runway. We actually saw cellulite on one skinny model--I was relieved. Models are prone to it too.




So did we see any celebrities? No but we heard Anna Kournikova was there.


Back to the purpose of the event--the swimsuits. Unsure of what to expect from the ANK line, I was impressed with the style--my style--modest but sexy. A few string bikinis (as in string ties on the side) but nothing too risque like those barely-there Brazilian cuts. A few one piece suits emerged with a slight retro look. One pieces are sexy on long torsoed bodies but as you know, I'm long on legs and short on torso. Wider band bottoms are back but ideal for accentuating smaller buttocks and waists. Not for me. I'll stick to the string bikinis while I still can. (The picture is by Frazer Harrison). To see more of the ANK line, click on the link above.

Other lineup of designers that weekend included Custo Barcelona, Hotel Bondi Swim, Pistol Panties, Poko Pani, Red Carter, Tommy Bahama and XTRA Life Lycra (R) to name a few and from all over the world.

Which was my favorite? Stay tuned to the next posting...

Krysha

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin