Thursday, November 6, 2008

Michelle Obama's Dress--Hip or Miss?

Now that the elections are over, the day after, there was hype of a new competition. Which received more attention--Obama's speech or Michelle's dress? Looks like another close race! [POST YOUR COMMENT BELOW after reading this posting]


Politicians and celebrities or any person in the spotlight (I'm surprised Joe the Plumber was not targeted for his garb--but wait! He has a publicist now!) are scrutinized by average residents, fashionistas, and tabloids alike. Remember Marcia Clark, the prosecutor in the OJ Simpson case? She was brutally criticized for her harsh look. This was unfair in my opinion given that she barely slept two hours a night, much less have time to get a new hairstyle for TV cameras. After the trial, she did make time for a makeover. More like a recover. After a little nip and tuck (hey she's in the land of cosmetic surgeons on every corner in Los Angeles) and new hairstylist, you wouldn't recognize her today. Well maybe--but she looks fabulous.


Michelle Obama has been praised by media for her fashion style and compared to Jacqueline Onassis. Do you agree?


Living in fashion and body conscious Miami, here's my two cents. First I believe every woman should define her own style. Michelle Obama certainly does. Good for her. In some photos, she wears the classic black suit with choker pearls, a definite Jackie O style. But a copycat style, does not annoint one a Jackie O fashion setter. It's how one wears the outfit--the posture, the walk...

In other photos, she wears clothing that says "Tomboy trying to be fashionable". This variation may draw criticism from fashionistas, but it's more true to her person as she said in an interview "I'm more a tomboy... but I like to look nice too". This is her style. I applaud Michelle for her wide range of taste. However, a self-admitted tomboy, absent is the grace to join the Jackie O's or Audrey Hepburns or even Cindy McCains that comes with posture, a long neck, and body language. For example, my mother is always reminding me (even at my age) not to slouch so I don't develop a bad habit and a hunchback. Yes Ma'am. So Michelle is a tomboy. But she can still set a trend. Maybe a new trend for tomboys.

Let's talk about the dress on election night. Personally, I give it thumbs down. Aside from making her appear wider, the dress design reminds me of a Halloween hex. Red bleeding from a black criss cross. While I appreciate the desire to wear a modern style vs. the classic Oscar de la Renta worn by other First Lady's elect, the dress was unflattering on Michelle. Here are some other comments:

"I voted for Obama, but I didn't vote for that dress,'' homemaker and mother of three Jessica Bettancourt from Wisconsin told the NewYork Times.

"I don't know what was worse,'' Chicago lawyer KarlaWright told the paper: "that stupid criss-cross band around the middle or that black sort of border coming up from the hem''.


In reading various papers online across the U.S., fashion magazine editors all praised Michelle for her bold choice for a visually striking dress. Obviously they are baiting for an exclusive interview and photoshoot. Bloggers and viewers were more honest.

On the other hand, I did like the black and white dress she wore on The View months ago. A stately but summery dress. Not heavily grandeur but not understated and it fit her well. It was a balanced dress, perfect for that setting. And oh. High praise on the selection on the J Crew gold skirt with subtle geometic shape, matching cardigan draped over a silk-like brown blouse that she wore on Jay Leno. That outfit miraculously softened those tomboy attributes. See the video below on ABC News.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=10561950

No doubt, as a young new First Lady, the media, fashionistas, and regular folks will keep a close eye on her wardrobe choices and fans will imitate her look. My recommendation: stick to her favorite stores like J. Crew --tomboy with style--and continue to be herself. But let's not get carried away in post election fever, Michelle O is no Jackie O.


TELL US YOUR OPINION ! On Michelle's overall style. On the infamous red and black dress of election night! Just click below to POST A COMMENT!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dress: Hip
On her: Miss
I like the choice of dress because it's refreshingly hip for the political stage, but she didnt wear it well. Her stance is throwing it off for me. She's not very graceful and somehow the dress does not seem to match the personality.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Yvonne M. The dress was a mismatch for Michelle Obama's body frame and personality. But I did like the color coordination among the entire family. Some may think it's silly but I think it's cute and it does catch your attention. Although not sure about a black dress for the little girl. Maybe needed a thread of silver or accent color. She was lost in that dress. The Obama girls are really cute though.

vanessa said...

I dont like the dress she chose at all it isnt flattering to her body shape and a little too flamboyant for the occasion...& to have her be compared to Jackie-O or Audrey Hepburn is just wrong!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a dress like that, I am not sure that I would wear it but I honestly liked it...besides is from an young American designer and she supports American designers too which I think is great...red and black are very strong and I like them a lot together.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin