Sunday, February 22, 2009

Which actress was your favorite at the Oscars?

As I'm typing this, the Oscars is airing on television. This year, I am thoroughly impressed with the dresses by the nominated actresses. The theme is definitely Hollywood glamour--with mermaid fitted dresses in silver, cream, black and sometimes bold red, jeweled necklines and sweeping hairdo's a la 1950's Grace Kelly. So like every website the day after the Oscar's, here are some headturners with my comments. Won't you share your comments as well?


Where to begin?

Let's start with the first winner of the evening, Penelope Cruz. She looked like a true princess in the white silver embroidered Balmain chiffon gown that was a 60 year-old treasure. Exquisite!




Miley Cyrus. I give her an "A" for at least not trying to dress like a 30-year old. I loved the dress from the waist up, but the rest is best described as a white Christmas tree. I'm not quite sure who would wear this dress well. Any thoughts? Would let your 16 or 17-year old daughter wear this or another dress from tonight's list of haute couture designers?



Amy Adams was modern elegance in this rich red dress by Caroline Herrera. In a sea of white dresses, Amy was the red cape in the ring and turned heads. She carried it well and with confidence.





The mounting anticipation of Angelina Jolie's choice of dress lead to sighs and huge relief. She
carefully chose black and a strapless gown by Elie Saab that pleased the crowds. Instead of diamonds, Angelina opted out of a necklace and instead chose rich emerald dangling earrings. I give her high marks for choice of dress but the scripted tattoo on her left arm assaulted the grace of the ensemble. I wonder if she will ever remove the tattoos?


Viola Davis broke the mould (pictured below) as a goddess in a shimmering gold dress against her beautiful skin tone. She was different. She was herself.





Taranji Henson chassed down the red carpet like a swan in her glam white Roberto Cavalli dress and complementary vintage jewel necklace. Great choice! For her debut, she was all composure!








Aaah Marisa Tomei--epitomized the movie screen of the 1930's with this Art Deco-ish silver Versace number that literally arrived the morning of the Oscars. I want this dress for my Art Deco tours--too much? You're right.







Jennifer Aniston is the girl next door--sweet, cute and everyone loves her. Tonight she was a Roman princess in this dazzling number. Would it be unlady- like or petty to compare Jennifer to Angelina? I don't think so. I like both actresses for different reasons and personally think Jennifer and Brad made the cuter couple, but tonight I preferred Jennifer's dress. Which dress did you prefer?





Who could miss the vibrant sapphire blue, delicately beaded dress by Freida Pinto--actress from Slumdog Millionare. She smartly chose a dress style and color that represented her country of India. I love this actress already and I haven't even seen the movie yet which is must!






My absolute favorite actress and dress was Anne Hathaway. She was graceful, humble, classy and breathtaking all in one. Her inner beauty no doubt played an Oscar role in this red carpet stunner.


The big winner--Kate Winslet--was also one of the best dressed.Although I felt the two toned dress was a bit drab in gray, her resemblance to Grace Kelly was uncanny, down to the way she carried herself. I'm so glad she won!

Share your comments below by clicking "Comments"

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin