Monday, April 25, 2011

It's all about the Hats

Nigel Rayment hat

With the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton soon approaching, perhaps the hat fever has infected you. Have you ever worn hats? Tempted now with the royal buzz? Before you muss and mop your precious locks, here are some tips and photos to give you an idea of what' appropo!

First, hat makers are called milliners in England. Now ladies, if you're wondering who designs Waty Katy's (Catherine Middleton's media- appointed nickname) hats, it's Vivien Sheriff. More on her hats in a moment.

Then you've probably heard the term the "fascinator" which is small headpiece with less coverage than a hat but ideal of holding hair in place during windy conditions. Brilliant! Catherine was sporting one in Scotland and since the engagement, these mostly feathered hairpieces are picking up steam in the U.S. Finally!



Kate has sparked retail sales of headpieces called "fascinators"
  Perhaps one of the most well known hat makers and boutique store is Nigel Rayment. He also carries collections from Condici and John Charles of London. Just browsing his website is a breathtaking array of sculpted hats that prompts me to find an excuse or event to purchase and don such high fashion atop my head. But you have to travel to London as hat purchases is like purchasing a bathing suit--the shape, size and color must complement the contours and shape of your head. A great reason to jet set to London.


Sarah Jessica Parker in Nigel Rayment head piece

If you attend Derby's and like to hob-knob with the elitists or play one like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman", here are some from the milliner (that means hat maker in proper English) Vivien Sheriff, the hat designer for Catherine Middleton.







Alas, if you are not able to travel across the Atlantic for a hat shopping spree and have no desire to take up another hobby such as horse racetracks, then you may want to consider visiting Macy's or Nordstorms for a temperament US style hat for this spring and summer.

First, for the everyday look, here are a couple eye-catching  hats by Macy's that will flutter you with compliments from passerbys:

Nine West Straw Flower Floppy Hat


Simple, Classic,  Elegant

In the U.S., hats are not customary fashion for the average resident.  I recall when invited to a cousin's wedding in the south of Spain and when I asked what is appropriate, the response was to wear a hat. It was not obligatory, but some type of hairpiece for the mature woman was more fitting. Since I was in my thirties, not quite a kid in my twenties or more mature like my mother, we both opted to wear a flower piece in our hair. My dress turns out was a cream satin material with hot pink flowers print. Little did I know Spain shared this headwear tradition with their neighbors in the U.K.

Alas, I do have a small collection of hats, dwarfed in comparison by my shoe collection (88 total) and purse collection. Most of the time I wear them during my popular Art Deco Tours.

So in the spirit of fashion and to toast the new royal couple, I will wear a hat this Friday. The question is will I find a new, English milliner hat in time, or wear my all-time favorite black and white wide brim, contemporary Deco hat that I'm sure even the Brits would admire.


Krysha

1 comments:

Marte said...

I didn't watch much of the wedding, but was fascinated by the hats. Some pretty, some downright ugly. I think I go more for the American styles you've shown here.

But regardless, I don't have the patience to wear a hat. I just like looking at them on other people.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin